Department of PANCHAKARAMA
Dr. Remya Vijayan, MD (Ay)
Assistant Professor & HOD
Dr Deepna. M, MD (Ay)
Dr. Sreekala A P, MD (Ay)
- To impart knowledge of panchakarma to the students – theoretically, practically and clinically and to make confidence in doing panchakarma treatments in scientific and standardised manner.
- To Providethe best panchakarma treatments to the patients in cost effective way.
- To provide qualified physicians with ethical code of conduct inperfoming classical panchakarma therapies.
- To impart new ideas in the field of purificatory therapies to the young doctors.
- Becoming a centre of excellence in panchakarma
- Provide quality education to BAMS students and pachakarma therapist students and make them expertise in panchakarma treatment.
- Provide world’s best panchakarma treatment to all classes of patients.
- Make all people aware about panchakarma to maintain their health and cure disease.
LIBRARY – Panchakarma department have well occupied library with around 125 books.
CLASS ROOM – Panchakarma Department has independent tuitorial room
MEUSEUM – Panchakarmameuseum contain instruments used for panchakarma therapy, charts and modelsfor demonstrating panchakarma procedures and raw drugsueds for panchakarma treatments.
8 Standardised Panchakarma theatreswith well trained and qualified male and female therapists and a physiotherapy unit with a qualified physiotherapist.
- 2 hrs theory classes per week
- 24 hrs clinical classes per week
- 3 hour theory class and 30 hour panchakarma training classes per week for panchakarma therapy students
- 2 hour theory class for ayurveda nursing students
OPD –From Monday to Saturday – 8am to 1pm
IPD- 16 beds are allotted for pachakarma department which are fully occupied.
The following treatments are conducted in IP – Snehapana, Abhyanga, Kayaseka, Valukasweda, Choorna panda sweda, Patrapodalasweda, Jambeera panda sweda, Shashtika panda sweda, Januvasthi, Kati vasthi, Greevavasthi, Urovasthi, Merudandavasthi, Dhanyamladhara, Kashayadhara, Ksheeradhara, Naadisweda, Avagahasweda, Ksheeradhoomam, Thalapothichil, Thakradhara, Shiroabhyangam, Shirodhara, Shirovasthi, Shiropichu, Vamana, Virechana, Vasthi, Nasya, Dhoomapana, Siravyedha, Pracchana, Jalaukavacharana, Agni karma, Udwarthana, Muttakkizhi, Kaadikkizhi etc..
- Successful in treating and managing various patients in and around north Malabar area
- Preventing the reoccurrence of disesaes.
- Preventing the diseases by maintaining the health and boosting immunity level of people.
- Local as well as distant residents opting seasonal purificatory therapies of panchakarma in cost effective manner.
- Treating life style diseases accordingly and raising quality of life of people in and around Malabar.
- Managing various diseases which are left untreated by other system of medicine successfully
- Providing physical as well as mental strength to patients through counselling before and after panchakarmatherapy(manasopachara).
- Reducing the prelavance and incidence rate of various communicable and non communicable diseases through medical camps, classes and field works by staff and students in and around the locality.
Research –A research on the topic “A clinical study to find the effect of udwarthana and samanasnehapanam in diabetic peripheral neuropathy” is now conducting under the department of panchakarma successfully.
- Introduction to Panchakarma, Panchakarma and Shodhana, its importance for promotion of health, prevention and treatment of diseases.
- Trividha Karma- Purva, Pradhana and Pashchat Karma in relation to Shodhana and their importance.
- Indications of Shodhana, Shodhana according to Ritu
- General Principles of doshagati from Koshta to Shaka and vice versa
- General precautions (PariharyaVishaya) for Panchakarma
- Specifications of Panchakarma theatre and necessary equipments
- Importance of Koshta and Agni Parikshan
- Etymology and Definition of Sneha and Snehana
- Snehayoni- Sthavara and Jangama: Properties of Snehadravyas, SnehopagDravyas
- General knowledge of Ghrita, Taila, Vasa and Majja with their specific utility and actions ,Yamaka, Trivrit and MahaSneha
- Metabolism of fat
- Achcha and Pravicharana of Sneha
- Snehapaka and its importance in Panchakarma
Types of Snehana:
i) Bahya and
i) BāhyaSnehana :
Methods, indications and contraindications of the following types of Bahyasnehana; Mardana, Unmardana, Pādāghāta, Samvāhana, KarnaPurana&AkshiTarpan, Lepa, Talam, MurdhniTaila: Siro-Abhyanga, ShiroSeka/dhārā, SiroPichu and Siro-Basti
Three Types of ĀbhyantaraSnehana: Shodhanārtha, Shamanārtha and BrimhanārthaSnehana, Indications and contraindications for Snehana
- Importance and method of DeepanPāchan and Rookshana in ShodhanārthaSnehana. Properties of RookshanaDravya.SamyakRookshanaLakshana
- Consideration of Agni and Koshtha in Snehana
- Indication of Different Matra, Various dose schedules for ShodhanārthaSnehana; Hraseeyasi, Hrasva, Madhyama and UttamaMātrā, ĀrohanaMātrā
- Methods of ShodhanārthaSnehana,
- Anupāna of Sneha
- Jeerna and JeeryamanLakshana
- Samyak Yoga, Ayoga and Atiyoga of Snehana, SnehaVyāpat& their management according to Ayurveda & Modern Medicine
- Diet and regimen during Snehana
SadyoSneha: Method of administration, dose fixation and utility ShamanārthaSnehana, Method of administration, dose fixation and utility BronhanarthSenhana: Method of administration, dose fixation and utility AvapeedakSneha: Method of administration, dose fixation and utility
SnehanaKārmukata (mode of action)
Takradhara, Udvartanam, Putpāka, Aschotana, Anjana, Gandusha,
Kavala, Dhoompāna, Udvartana, Utsādana, Udgharshana,Talapothichil
- Etymology and Definition of Sveda and Svedana
- Classifications of Sveda/Svedana
- General Swedadravya, Properties of Swedadravyas, Swedaopagdravyas ,
- Indications and contraindications of Svedana
- Ten Types of NiragniSvedana
- Knowledge of 13 types of SagniSvedana and ChaturvidhSvedan
- Detailed Knowledge with their Utility of the following Svedana procedures: Sankara/PindaSveda-Ruksha and SnigdhaSveda, PatrapindaSveda, JambirPindaSveda,VālukaSveda,ChurnaPindaSveda,KukkutandPindaSveda, ShashtikaShalipindaSveda, NadiSveda, BashpaSvedaKsheerdhooma ,KsheerSeka, KwathSeka, AvagahaSveda,DhanymlaDharaParishekaSveda, Pizichil, UpanahaSveda, Annalepa
- Local Basti such as Kati Basti, JanuBasti, GreevaBasti and Urobasti
- General precautions during SagniSvedana and Methods to protect vital during svedana
- Samyak Yoga, Ayoga and Atiyoga of Svedana
- Complications of Svedana and their Management according to Ayurveda & Modern Medicine
- Diet and management during and after Svedana
- SvedanaKārmukata (Mode of action)
- General Knowledge about current Sudation techniques like Sauna bath, Steam bath
- Etymology, definition and importance of Vamana Karma
- Utility of Vamana Karma in health and disease
- Indications and Contraindications for Vamana
- Knowledge of Koshta and Agni
- General knowledge of Vamana and Vamanopaga drugs; properties, actions, preparations, preservation with special reference to Madanphala, Kutaj, Nimba, Yashti, Vacha
- Purva Karma of Vamana:Deepan-Pāchana, AbhyantaraSnehana and diet
- Management of one gap day-Abhyanga&Svedana, diet, special Kapha increasing diet
- Preparation of the patient on Morning of Vamana day
- Vamaka Yoga, Anupana, fixation of dose and method of administration
- Administration of VamanopagaDravya such as milk, sugarcane juice, Yashtimadhu decoction
- Lakshana indicating Doshagati during the process
- Management during Vamana Karma & observations
- Symptoms of Samyak Yoga, Ayoga and Atiyoga of Vamana Karma
- Post Vamana management
- Types of Shuddhi-Hina, Madhya and Pravara
- PeyadiSamsarjanaKrama and TarpanadiKram with their specific indications
- Complication of Vamana and their management with Ayurveda and modern drugs
- VamanaKarmukata (Mode of action).
- Etymology, definition and importance of Virechana Karma
- Utility of Virechana Karma in health and disease
- Indications and Contraindications for Virechana
- Knowledge of Koshta and Agni
- Classification of Virechana Drugs, General properties of VirchanadravyaGeneral knowledge of single and compound Virechan drugs; properties, actions, preparations, preservation with special reference to Trivrutta, Aragvadha, Eranda, Katuki, Jaipal
- Purva Karma of Virechana: Deepan- Pachana, AbhyantaraSnehana and diet
- Management of 3 gap days-Abhyanga, Svedana& diet
- Management on Morning of Virechana day
- Preparation of VirechanaKalpa, Anupana, dose and method of its administration
- Method of Virechana Karma and management during Virechana Karma & observations
- Symptoms of Samyak Yoga, Ayoga and Atiyoga of Virechana Karma
- Post Virechana management
- Types of Shuddhi-Hina, Madhya and Pravara and accordingly SamsarjanaKrama
- Complications of Virechana and their management with Ayurveda and modern drugs
- VirechanaKārmukatā (Mode of action)
- Etymology, definition and importance of Basti as Ardha-Chikitsa
- Utility of Basti Karma in health and disease
- BastiYantra- Putaka&Netra, Detailed study of traditional BastiYantra and their Doshas Knowledge of alternative BastiYantra-enema can, enema syringe, modified plastic/rubber bag for Putaka, modified plastic netra.
- Classifications of Basti
- Karma, Kāla and Yoga Basti schedules along with their utility.
- NiruhaBasti: Its etymology, synonyms, definition, classifications, sub- classifications & indications and contraindications.
- Dose fixation of NiruhaBasti according to age
- Contents and Method of preparation of NiruhaBastidravya
- Administration of NiruhaBasti
- PratyāgamanaKāla, Post NiruhaBasti management
- Samyak Yoga, Ayoga and Atiyoga of Niruha.
- Complication of NiruhaBastiand its management according to Ayurved and
- PariharyaVishaya and kala
- AnuvasanaBasti: Its etymology, synonyms, definition, classifications, sub- classifications & indications and contraindications.
- Dose fixation of AnuvasanBasti according to age
- Contents and Method of preparation of AnuvasanBastidravya
- Administration of AnuvasanBasti
- PratyāgamanaKāla, Post AnuvasanBasti management
- Samyak Yoga, Ayoga and Atiyoga of Anuvasana.
- Complication of Anuvasan and its management according to Ayurved and Modern
- PariharyaVishaya and kala
- BastiKārmukatā (Mode of action).
- Knowledge of following types of Basti:
MadhutailikaBasti, ErandmuladiBasti, YāpanaBasti, PichchhaBasti, KshiraBasti, KsharaBasti, VaitaranaBasti, PanchaprasutikBasti, LekhanBasti, KrumighnaBasti, TiktashirBasti, ArdhamātrikaBasti
- UttaraBasti,: its definition, indications and contraindications, Detailed study of traditional BastiYantra and their Doshas Knowledge of alternative BastiYantra
- Preparation of patient,
- Preparation of Trolley for Uttarbasti,
- drug preparation and Fixation of dose,
- method of administration in male and females,
- complications and their management
- Etymology, definition, Significance of Nasya Karma.
- Classifications and sub-classifications
- Knowledge of general Dravya used for Nasya Karma, Shirovirechan
- Indications and contraindications of Nasya
- Time of administration of Nasya
- Dose fixation of different types of Nasya
- Diet and regimen before and after Nasya Karma
- Administration of Marsha, Pratimarsha, Avapeedaka, Dhoomapana and DhumaNasya
- Symptoms of Samyak-yoga of Nasya,
- Complication of Nasya and their management
- NasyaKarmukata (mode of action)
- Definition, importance and Types of Raktamokshana
- General Principles and rules of Raktamokshana
- Classification of Raktamokshan
- General Indication and Contra indication of Raktamokshan
- Jalaukavacharana: Knowledge of different types of Jalauka (Leech) , Indications and contraindications of Jalaukavacharana, various types of Jalauka. Method of Application, SamyakLakshan, Complication of Jalaukavcharana and their management with Ayurveda and Modern medicines.
- Pracchāna: Indications and contraindications of Pracchana. Method of Application, SamyakLakshan, Complication of Pracchana and their management with Ayurveda and Modern medicines
- Sirāvedha: Indications and contraindications of Siravedha. Method of Application, SamyakLakshan, Complication of Siravedha and their management with Ayurveda and Modern medicines
- Knowledge of emergency management of complications such as water & electrolyte imbalance, shock, bleeding per rectal, hemetemsis, epistaxis
- Droni, Apparatus & Accessories
- Therapeutic use of Erandataila
- Indications, technique & application of the following procedures :Talam, Shirosekam/Dhaara, Takradhaara, Talapothichil, Patrapindasvedam, Jambeerapinasvedam, ShashtikaShalipindaSveda, Ksheeradhooma, KsheeraSekam, DhanyamlaDhara, Pizhichil, Annalepam, Ksheeradhooma and Urovasti
- Definition, Utility and Importance of Physiotherapy.
- Basic Knowledge of Static exercise, Infrared, Short wave diathermy, Electromagnetic therapy, Wax bath therapy, Ultrasonic therapy.
|SL NO||BOOK NO||NAME OF THE BOOK|
|1||54731||ANCIENT INDIAN MASSAGE|
|3||16094||ASTANGA SANGRAHA VOL 1|
|4||16092||ASTANGA SANGRAHA VOL 2|
|5||16093||ASTANGA SANGRAHA VOL 3|
|6||15474||AYURVEDA KARMA SANGRAHA|
|13||18845||CARAKA SAMHITHA VOL 1|
|14||18846||CARAKA SAMHITHA VOL 2|
|15||1884 8||CARAKA SAMHITHA VOL 3|
|16||18844||CARAKA SAMHITHA VOL 4|
|17||18847||CARAKA SAMHITHA VOL 5|
|18||11299||CHAMBERLINE ‘S SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS IN CLINICAL MEDICINE|
|21||16053||GADA NIGRAHAM VOL 2|
|22||16132||GADA NIGRAHAM VOL 3|
|23||16130||GADA NIGRAHAM VOL 1|
|26||3463||FIVE SPECIALISED THERAPUTICS OF AYURVEDA|
|28||17496||AYURVEDA PANCHA KARMEEYA VIJNANAM|
|29||5959||AYURVEDA PANCHAKARMA CHIKITSA|
|30||16136||ASTANGA HRIDAYAM VOL 1|
|31||16137||ASTANGA HRDAYAM VOL 2|
|32||16138||ASHTANGA HRDAYAM VOL 3|
|33||11322||CLINICAL MEDICINE (KUMAR &CLERK)|
|34||11479||HARRISON’S PRINCIPLES OF INTERNAL MEDICINE VOL 1|
|36||13676||MASSAGE THERAPY IN AYURVEDA|
|37||2243||PANCHA KARMAM ADHAVA SODHANA CHIKITHSA|
|39||9741||STUDENTS MEDICAL DICTIONARY|
|40||9166||SHAD KARMA OF YOGA|
|41||3090||PANCHA KARMA THERAPY(R H Singh)|
|42||16107||SUSRUTHA SAMHITHA VOL 1|
|43||16108||SUSRUTHA SAMHITHA VOL 2|
|44||16109||SUSRUTHA SAMHITHA VOL 3|
|45||5034||PANCHA KARMA TREATMENT OF AYURVEDA|
|46||12957||PANCHA KARMA TREATMENT OF AYURVEDA INCLUDING KERALIYA|
|47||7526||THE PANCHA KARMA TREATMENT AYURVEDIC|
|48||11486||HARRISON’S PRINCIPLE OF INTERNAL MEDICINE|
|49||18607||PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE OF AYURVEDIC MEDICINE|
|50||19565||TEXT BOOK OF OBSTETRICS|
|51||19748||PANCHAKARMA THERAPY IN AYURVEDA|
|52||18964||SAHASRA YOGAM( HINDI)|
|53||18836||CARAKA SAMHITHA VOL 1 (HINDI)|
|54||19841||CARAKA SAMHITHA VOL 2 (HINDI)|
|56||19751||AN INTRODUCTION TO NIGHANTUS OF AYURVEDA|
|58||18916||SHAD KARMA OF YOGA VS PANCHAKARMA OF AYURVEDA|
|59||18051||PANCHA KARMA CHIKITHSA SARA SANGRAHAM – book missing|
|60||10695||CHIKITHSA KALIKA (P V SHARMA )|
|61||19744||SNEHANA THERAPY IN AYURVEDA|
|66||1782?||TEXT BOOK OF PREVENTIVE AND SOCIAL MEDICINE|
|67||19821||CHARAKA SAMHITHA (SANSKRIT)|
|68||19742||DRUGS USEFUL IN PANCHA KARMA THERAPY|
|69||17817||TEXT BOOK OF ENT AND HEAD AND NECK SURGERY|
|70||18818||DRAVYA GUNA VIGNAN VOL 2|
|73||18735||HAND BOOK OF PHYSIOTHERAPY|
|75||18960||PANCHA KARMA CHIKITHSA VIJNANAM VOL 1|
|76||18961||PANCHA KARMA CHIKITHA VIJNANAM VOL 2|
|77||19764||RESEARCHES IN AYURVEDA PAST AND PRESENT (HINDI)|
|78||19763||RESEARCHES IN AYURVEDA PAST AND PRESENT VOL 1 (ENGLISH)|
|81||10424||CHILD HEALTH CARE IN AYURVEDA|
|82||19630||AYURVEDA AND PANCHA KARMA|
|83||19566||HUMAN ANATOMY VOL 1|
|84||19569||HUMAN ANATOMY VOL 2|
|85||19571||HUMAN ANATOMY VOL 3|
|89||19048||MEDICAL LAB TECHNOLOGY 1|
|90||19065||MEDICAL LAB TECHNOLOGY 2|
|91||19939||ESSENSIALS OF ORTHOPAEDICS FOR PHYSIOTHERAPIST|
|92||19868||PANCHA KARMA( ILLUSTRATED)|
|93||17385||SUSRUTHA SAMHITHA 1|
|94||17398||SUSRUTHA SAMHITHA 2|
|96||19799||ASHTANGA HRDAYAM TIKA|
|97||17711||HUTCHISON’S CLINICAL METHODS|
|99||19741||PANCHA KARMA CHIKITHSA VIJNANAM|
|100||19809||FIVE SPECIALISED THERAPIES OF AYURVEDA|
|101||17298||LUMINARIES OF INDIAN MEDICINE|
|102||25209||PANCHA KARMA CHIKITHSA SARA SANGRAHAM|
|103||8060||AYURVEDA KARMA SANGRAHA BY KALADY PARAMESWARAN NAMBUTHIRI|
|104||23465||KERALIYA PANCHA KARMA CHIKITHSA VIJNANAM (H T L DEVARAJ)|
|105||18114||KERALIYA CHIKITHSAKALUM PANCHA KARMAVUM BY ARYA VAIDYA SALA KOTTAKKAL|
|106||25191||PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF PANCHA KARMA BY DR VASANTH C PATIL|
|107||18065||JEEVITHA CHARYA BY KOTTAKKAL ARYA VAIDYA SALA|
|108||23457||AYURVEDIYA PANCHA KARMA CHIKITHSA BY AACHARYA MUKUNDALAL DIVEDI|
|109||10861||SARVA ROGA CHIKITHSA RATHNAM BY ANAKKALIL GOPAL PILLA|
|110||23471||PANCHA KARMA THERAPY BY PROFESSOR R H SINGH|
|111||24641||PANCHAKARMA BY VAIDYA BHUSHANAM K RAGHAVAN THIRUMULPADU|
|112||5531||MASSAGE THERAPY IN AYURVEDA BY VAIDYA BHAGVAN DASH|
|113||4203||AYURVEDA PANCHA KARMA CHIKITHSA BY AACHARYA MUKUNDA LAL DIVEDI|
|114||24406||CHAKRA DATTA BY CHEPPATTU K ACHYUTHA VARRIER|
|116||12945||SECRETS OF AYURVEDIC MASSAGE BY ATREYA|
|117||25192||SHARANGADHARA SAMHITHA BY ANAKKALIL S GOPALA PILLA|
|118||25083||PANCHA KARMA ILLUSTRATED BY DR G SREENIVASA ACHARYA|
|119||24306||ESSENTIALS OF PRACTICAL PANCHA KARMA THERAPY DR VASANTH C PATIL|
|120||13033||AYURVEDIC MASSAGE BY S V GOVINDAN|
|121||7695||ANCIENT INDIAN MASSAGE BY HARISH JOHARI ?|
|122||12954||PANCHA KARMA TREATMENT BY AYURVEDA INCLUDING KERALIYA PANCHA KARMA BY AJAY KUMAR SHARMA|
|123||23434||SUSRUTHA SAMHITHA COMMENTRY NIBHANDA SANGRAHAM BY DALHANACHARYA ?|
|124||23372||CARAKA SAMHITHA BY AGNIVESHA EDITED BY VAIDYA YADAVJI TRIKAMJI ACHARYA|
|125||23605||ASTANGA HRDAYA OF VAGBHATA WITH THE COMMENRIES SARVANGA SUNDARI BY ARUNA DUTTA AND AYURVEDA RASAYANA OF HEMADRI|