Department of KAUMARABRITHYA
The department of Kaumarabhrithya is a unit of Government Ayurveda College, Pariyaram, Kannur is functioning in the same campus.
- To provide theoretical and clinical knowledge in Kaumarabhritya for BAMS students
- To improve the health status of children and adolescents
- Prevention and management of paediatric disorders
- Early detection of developmental disorders.
- To create public awareness regarding scope of Ayurveda in paediatrics.
- To conduct researches in kaumarabhritya.
- To produce paediatric practitioners with the mission to propagate balachikitsa in ayurvedic health care practice.
- To promote interdisciplinary researches for the scientific validation of the concepts and practices of ayurvedic childcare.
- To improve the child health standards by providing preventive, promotive, rejuvenative and curative aspects.
- To standardise the protocols and procedures for various ailments.
- To prepare an ayurvedic paediatric formulary consiting of single drugs and formulations from the classical texts, traditional resources and traditional knowledge database.
Professor –Dr.Anil Kumar
Associate professor –Dr.Lekshmi
Assistant professor –Dr Sree Divya
- HOD Room
- Staff Room
- OPD and Examination Room
- Physiotherapy and recreation room
- Library: Central library as well as department library with books of modern and ayurvedic sciences.
- Class room: Well equipped smart class room with interactive board
There are 227 books in the department library, which include Ayurveda, modern, research methodology and biostatistics text books.
- Regular academic activities
- Theory classes for UG students
- Clinical classes –UG students - 8-11 am, Mon-Sat
- OPD & IPD
The college hospital common to all the departments has a bed strength of 150 out of which 15 beds are reserved for Kaumarabhritya. The hospital is provided with a well equipped clinical laboratory, Panchakarma Theater, Physiotherapy unit, X-Ray and USG facilities.The dept. has a well functioning OP and IP wing providing services to all children coming from different parts of Kerala.
- OPDs are being conducted on 6 days per week from 8am to 1pm.
- 15 beds are allotted for children in the college hospital.
The department has gained advances in the management of Developmental disorders and other neurological disorders like Cerebral palsy, Autism, ADHD, Speech disorders, Erb’s Palsy, Dyslexia, Infantile hemiplegia, Seizure disorders etc, Nutritional disorders, skin diseases and recurrent respiratory infections. It also has a tremendous experience in practice of modified Panchakarma therapy and physiotherapy in children. The well baby clinic of the department is also promoting traditional child care practices in newborns and infants.
A separate Hospital for Women and Children is on the way to proper functioning in a short span of time.
- Medical camps
Faculties of this department regularly participate in the 25 medical camps organised by the College Hospital in various parts of Kannur and Kasargode districts.
A research project on ‘Management of Autism using ayurvedic modalities’.
Faculty of this department regularly attend CME programmes, reorientation programmes and participate in various public health awareness programmes.
- ‘ARIVU - 2017’- Two Training programmes, for Anganwadi and ASHA workers for early detection of developmental disorders in children were conducted in January and November 2017
- Programs organised as part of silver jubilee celebration of the institutions
- Rajata – National Seminar on endocrinology
- Rajata Expo- Exhibition on Scope of Ayurveda
- Sarvashiksa Abhiyan -Awareness programs for parents of children affected with developmental disorders
- Adoption of Vilayancode L.P. School and conduction of following programmes
- Screening camps for scholastic backwardness in children.
- Setting up of Herbal garden mainly constituting medicinal plants.
Syllabus –UG & PG syllabus as per CCIM and KUHS
The Department has a sufficient infrastructure to provide the academic as well as clinical standards stipulated by the CCIM. Every year the department imparts theoretical knowledge and clinical training to 50 under graduate students. A same number of house surgeons get clinical training from this department. The teaching staff handles UG clinical classes from 8 am to 11 am and Theory classes. Internet facility is also available in the department.
- Rajatha expo ,Rajatha National seminar &Rajatha mega medical camp on the occasion of 25th anniversary of GAVC, kannur
- Northzone-1st runner up
- Interzone-2nd runner up(offstage champions)
- Sargaprathibha( MujthabaNaseem),
- Law College short film competition 1st price- Hashtag,
- Apta Ayurveda college magazine award- "Tadpa"
- Volleyball-1st runners up
- Veeksha 2018-Best case presentation- Dr.Akhina Ashok
- Veeksha 2018-Best thesis- Dr.Jayasree.R.Kartha,Kriya sareera department
- Baby Krishnan memorial young scholars conclave- poster presentation-3rd prize- Dr.Anu.k.s,Department of kriya sareera
- Jnanaspardha state level quiz competition- 1st prize- Dr.Divya (Roga nidana) & Dr.Sudhina(kriya sareera department)
- Extra carricular activities
- Ornithology (pakshinireekshanam) @ Gavc campus- 7th position across India