Department of KAYACHIKITSA
Dr.Sreelatha Chandroth, MD (Ay)
Professor & HOD
Dr Aswathy S, MD (Ay)
Dr.Mithun.C.K, MD (Ay)
Dr Biju.E.R, MD (Ay)
Kayachikitsa is considered to be the foremost branch of Ashtanga Ayurveda. The word kaya has two literal meanings such as Agni and body and the word chikitsa means treatment. So kayachikitsa deals with the diagnosis and treatment of a variety of disorders such as geriatric medicine (Rasayana), Aphrodisiac medicine (Vajikarana), skin disorders, Diabetes and other lifestyle disorders, general medical disorders, arthritis and joint disorders etc.
- Teaching: Department of Kayachikitsa or the Department of medicine is one of the main departments in an institute like us that impact teaching and training to the 3rd Prof of B.A.M.S. course. The basic aim of this department is to provide excellent training of theoretical as well as practical aspect of kayachikitsa along with its modern western parlance and concept as well, The main focus of this department will be to make the student aware regarding the fundamental of diagnosis and treatment, various approaches to the treatment of various diseases and to make the student familiar with the various modern tools and techniques of investigations and latest ultramodern information regarding the general life saving procedures in emergency and intensive management. The knowledge of ancient principles of longevity of Ayurveda in regard to the basic treatment modalities especially the medicinal approach in the treatment, the Rasayana or the rejuvenation concept are also taught during the course.
- Clinical Department: The parallel running hospital along with the Ayurvedic medical college is providing the basic medical and health facility to all the people in kannur district. The Kayachikitsa (Department of Medicine) should be up to mark to fulfill the teaching and training requirement to students in the final year of BAMS course and Internee doctors. There must be sufficient resources to complete the knowledge of medicine at their level as given above. The medicine department is fully equipped and is in well running condition. The facility of fully hygienic OPDs, Casualty fully equipped to manage all types of diseases.
Section of Manasika Roga-
The Manasika Roga section is an important section of the Department of Kayachikitsa which deals with treatment of psychosomatic diseases & Psychiatric disorders. Since inception this section has been actively engaged in patient care. The focused area of treatment are schizophrenia, mental retardation, depressive disorders, anxiety neurosis, chronic headache, tension headache other psychosomatic disorders
Kayachikitsa is the branch of herbal and holistic medicine, which delves deep into ascertaining the root cause of the illness. The entire Ayurvedic therapeutics is based on the concept of Agni. The concept of Kaya (Agni) is unique and is responsible for bio- transformation. As it is known that energy can neither be created nor can it be destroyed. In the human body, Kaya provides the necessary energy for all bodily activities. The energy provided is derived from the food we eat and the air we breathe. The biological system of the body transforms this energy to one, which is utilized by the cells.
Treatment facilities available with us:-
- Loss of appetite (Agnimandya)
- Indigestion (Ajeerna)
- Hyperacidity (Amla pitta)
- Pain Abdomen (Udarashoola)
- Worm infestation (Krimi)
- Vomiting (Chardi)
- Irritable Bowel Disorder/Colitis (Grahani)
- Piles (Arshas)
- CA Stomach, CA Pancreas, colon cancer
- Pandu (Anemia)
- Haemolytic Jaundice(Kamala)
- Hepatitis(Shakhashrita Kamala)
- Liver Diseases(Yakrit vikara)
- Biliary Calculi(Pittashay ashmari)
- Cirrhosis liver
- Bronchial Asthma(Tamaka Swasa)
- Allergic respiratory disorders
- Cardiac disorders
- Osteoarthritis(Sandhi gata vata)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis(Vatashonitha)
- Gouty Arthritis(Paithika vata rakta)
- IVDP(Kati Graha/Asthi Majja gata vata)
- Osteoporosis(Asthi kshaya)
- Cervical & Lumbar spondylosis(Manya stambha & Kati shula)
- Frozen shoulder (Apabahuka)
- Tennis elbow (koorpara sandhi shoola)
- Low Back Ache
Skin Disorders & Cosmetology
- Psoriasis (Sidhma/Kitibha/Eka kushta)
- Eczema (Vicharchika)
- Lichen planus(Charmakhya)
- Acne Vulgaris(Mukha Dushika)
- Herpes (Visarpa)
- Dandruff (Darumaka)
- Leucoderma (Switra)
- Hyper pigmentation disorders
- Renal calculi (Mutrashmari)
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (Moothragranthi)
- Difficult & Painful Micturition(Mutrakricchra)
- Urine retention (Mutrajadara)
- Increased frequency of urination (Mutrateeta)
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Bipolar disorder
- Madhya Janitha vikaras(Alcohol dependent diseases)
OPD of the department functions on all working days at Ayurveda college hospital OP block OP number 2 at Pariyaram, Kannur.
Time from 8 am to 1 pm.
Outpatient duty schedule 8 am to 1 pm
Mon - Dr. Sreelatha Chandroth MD (Ay)
Tue - Dr Biju E R MD (Ay)
Wed - Dr. Aswathy S MD (Ay)
Thu - Dr Biju E R MD (Ay)
Fri - Dr Mithun C.K MD (Ay)
Sat - Dr Mithun C.K MD (Ay)
A special O.P for psychiatric disorders was started on 13/06/2019 and is being conducted on every Thursday 2 pm – 4 pm -
Dr. Aswathy S MD (Ay)
Medicines are provided for free of cost, and more than 833 patients have benefited till now.
Theory and clinical classes to the final professional batch were handled by the department.
The clinical posting of III Professional BAMS batch is from 08.00 to 12.00
- Successful in treating and managing various patients in and around north side of kerala
- Treated 18990 patients through op level treatments and 121 patients treated in ip level in 2021 - 2022
- Preventing the diseases by maintaining the health and boosting immunity level of people.
- Treating lifestyle diseases accordingly and raising the quality of life of people in and around north malabar area
- Providing physical as well as mental strength to patients through counseling before and after panchakarma therapy
- It occupies part of the third floor of the “A” block in the college main building
- Professor’s Room
- Associate Professor’s cabin
- Assistant Professor’s cabin
- Lecture Hall- Has a seating capacity of 25 students..
- Museum contains 3 models and almost 59 charts. 5 specimens Etc.
Department library has 309 books including Modern books and Ayurvedic books and 17 dissertations